Following your tournament, here is a list of things you should consider doing to set yourself up for next year
- Send a survey to players, sponsors and volunteers for feedback on what worked and what areas need improvement. Be sure to include the date of next years’ event in the survey so they can mark it on their calendars.
- Personally call or visit each major sponsor. Present them with their sponsor gift within a few weeks of the event. The gift should help solidify the event as a memorable one, and be displayable in their office setting.
- Call committee members for feedback and invite the effective committee members to stay active for next year.
- Send thank you notes to volunteers and anyone else who helped organize and execute your event.
- Send thank you notes to the golf course and golf course staff. Some event organizers stop by a few days after the event with a “goody basket” of snacks. This will go a long way towards a successful relationship with the course.
- Complete all the financial transactions promptly so your event has a solid credit record and your organization has the exact “net” amount raised. This will help generate enthusiasm for continued support.
- Make a note to send tax receipts to players and sponsors in late October so they know the deduction amount for their tax returns. This will help avoid a lot of last minute phone calls in November and December. The simple task of sending a tax receipt will separate you from 50% of the other tournaments.
- Set up your website for the event next year so everyone knows to “Save the Date.”
- If you have a great event, tell the press. Prepare a press release detailing the amount raised and be sure to include the sponsor names so they have added exposure. Some events will even buy a large ad to thank players and sponsors and include information regarding the event date for the following year.
If you do these things right after your event, you will have great data to go on when it is time to begin planning next year’s event. If your experience at the golf course was positive, don’t hesitate before booking the course again for next year. Remember: the more organized you are when planning this year’s event, the easier next years will be!
We at Edgewater Golf Club are committed to the success of your event. Please contact us at 803-283-9800 with any questions or to set up a free tournament consultation.